Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ten Chimneys...an evening of regality!

Yesterday, my husband and I were the invited guests of Ten Chimneys to take the official tour. I was SO looking forward to doing this. I have lived in this area for most of my entire life including during the time that the home's famous occupants lived there during the 70's and 80's, and NEVER been to see the estate. I have customers that come from literally all over the nation to come do the tour, but I, who lives and has lived a mere 7 miles away has never done "the tour".

Why is it that we struggle to be tourists in our own towns? What a hidden, beautiful gem and right under my nose! Well, THIS YEAR I will NOT be embarrassed to talk to all my customers in the bakery who are going TO or coming FROM the lovely estate tour of the summer and retirement home(s) of Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne! Let the story telling begin!

Now this may be just a bit of a problem in the future. You seeeee, I LOVED my tour, the stories, the house(s), the stories, the history, the artifacts, the stories....and NOW I have so much TO talk to my customers about...great. Now I'm never gonna get any baking done! Folks might as well come in and start talking to me about the play Wicked! Dang, I can see it now -- chat, chat, talk, talk.

Still so glad I went....It felt like an afternoon of royalty. It was a regal way to spend an afternoon! And may I just suggest that if you've not done the tour, you spend an afternoon in our backyard and enjoy this glorious piece of history when royalty walked amongst us.

2 comments:

  1. Does this mean you are feeling better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been there either but hope to someday. I also never went to Old World Wisconsin until my then-4th grader's field trip 7 years ago, and just last year finally rode on the Glacial Drumlin trail. Both were wonderful!We DO need to be tourists in our own towns.

    ReplyDelete