Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Most Thankful

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving -- literally, Thanks to be Given. And I am. Sooo thankful. I have all these new people in my life who come into my little bakery and raise it up, support it, tell others about it. I am so thankful for them. For without them, I would have to answer differently to the (no less than) 1/2 dozen or so people who walk into my bakery with their head cocked to the side slightly (after all, we are in a recession and what was I thinking putting a new business in this tiny little town of like 46 people) and say "so how's it going?". And in my honest and truly authentic deflection, I answer, "Fantastically". (huh...they did not see that coming!) :o)

Fantastically. And I'm thankful.

On Facebook tonight, my post was not what my special breads are going to be. I said a simple prayer to God thanking him for all the wonderful customers that come in day after day and raise up my sweet little bakery with their great energy....those are the folks that don't ask "how it's going"...cuz they know. They unequivocally know. Fantastically. This little bakery is fully surrounded by great people who love being sassy with us, who love being authentic with us, who know when I screw up and who congratulate me when I don't and who, day after day, choose to indulge a little.

So, on this, our first holiday baking season, I am thankful. I am thankful for the four pumpkin pies, four pecan pies, two french silk pies, four apple pies, eight pumpkin tortes, and nearly 50 dozen rolls (each made by and rolled by hand)...and I'm also thankful for the six dozen rolls that didn't work so too pretty good (we'll just call those bread crumbs for Christmas stuffings!) and I'm thankful for two really, really long days that are over and our first very successful day of the official start of baking season.

Funny...feels like baking season started, oh, about three months ago...but what do I know, really?

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking it must smell awfully good in that little town right about now. And I'm also wondering how your legs and feet are holding up. One day of pre-thanksgiving prep and I'm wasted.

    Glad you are still having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you had the courage to see your dream and follow that dream! The world wouldn't be quite as sweet without you and your unique brand of sunshine in it!

    ReplyDelete