Monday, August 16, 2010

Hey! Who took the bakery?!



This picture makes me laugh a little! My dad's tool trailer simply covers the entire storefront of the bakery. I actually think it may be as big as the bakery! :o) But I know it's still there because I can see the sign (if I look real hard)!!

Today, Dad and Ben installed the custom made, one of a kind, 21' long counter top! It is so flippin' cool looking! I'm glad I said yes to my dad's 3:00 am idea! The counter top that was in the previous tenant's kitchen was cut down today so that dad can mount it to the wall to use as my desk (and save me another $100!!). The flooring will start to go down tomorrow and the rough mechanical inspections were done today. We're just hummin' along people!

I've met some really neat people from the Genesee Depot area this past week. On Friday when I was working in the bakery, I met a walker -- his name is Harry (yes, Harry met Sally....). Harry lives at the end of the road in the "old Mill Pond house". He has been here for years and caught me all up on all the different places that have come and gone (none of them bakeries, I assure you). Harry is a fellow "Pizon" and I think one of these days I may just have to close the bakery early so he and I can trek down to Kenosha to go to our mutually favorite Italian grocery store and deli (Tenuttas). Mmmmm...I can taste the Caprese Panini now!!

Then, tonight while John and I were working, we met Leah. Leah works at the Heating and AC place in our building on the opposite end as us. She grew up in Genesee as did her Grandmother (who sadly died this past Christmas). Gary, our sweet, wonderful landlord is trying to find me some old pictures of Genesee Depot so I can hang them in the hallway of the mall and I showed Leah one that he had found so far and she said (are you ready for this...) that her grandmother is one of the children in the (school) picture!!! She took a copy of it to find out which one is her so I can mark that accordingly. How stinkin' cool is that?! Such a neat ol' town. Such neat ol' people. Such a neat ol' place to put a bakery!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! It's Leah here. Just stopped onto your blog to see what you had to say and saw you mentioned our meeting. I am still working on digging up more info on the photo for you. It so very touching that in the newness of your shop, you're interested in sharing some of the history of our little town. I know my gram would have been tickled. (And she would have had lots of baking advice for you, too!) Wishing you all the best and looking forward to your opening!!

    ReplyDelete