Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I hope I get more than three strikes!

OK, so I have had "bad days" before at work -- some so bad that all I could do was weep and say to myself "my job kicked my as... today". Today is one of those days that brings me sadness with an appreciation for my new found, gracious, "customer friends".

And you are probably NOT going to believe me when I tell you this, but I must tell you that it is 100% true.

Three people, yes THREE, came into the bakery today with apologetic looks and a brown paper bag in their hands. Since I don't live anywhere near NYC or the President, I was pretty sure I only had the fear of bad bakery in the bags. All three of them had brought me back the loaves of bread they bought to show me how poorly I had baked them (my words, not theirs). All three loaves were drastically underbaked and they were all kindly bringing them in to show me in hopes that I could "fix" it before it happened to others. They wouldn't let me refund their money, but I was able to give them another loaf of bread (and please Lord, tell me I baked them well!!).

It was VERY gracious of them to bring those back to me, to try to lift my spirits in doing so, and to try to help me not make that mistake again. However, no matter how I spin the tale, what I am left with in my heart is the fact that I disappointed my customers. And, I am deeply sorry that this is what my customers felt - disappointed.

I hate that.

Hate.

And I hope that if there are other customers who got this same poorly baked bread, that they too will let me try to make it right by them. To me, it's not just a $3 loaf of bread. To me, it's a direct reflection on me and my ability to produce something worthy of my customers.

Three strikes. Ma'an...thank God there are more innings in this game!

1 comment:

  1. You are a very brave baker to write this tale of woe for all the world to read. I would have hidden under the counter. As embarrassed as you must feel, I think it speaks volumes about the impact you've made on your customers. THey brought the bread back for goodness sake. They didn't stand on the corner with a sign that says "Don't go There!"

    Chin up, Miss Sally Sunshine. Tomorrow is another day to wow the customers you love so much. Can you offer a prize to the next person who finds something wrong. #1 I doubt seriously that will happen. #2 people will buy more because they want to win a prize and then when they can't find anything wrong, they'll say, "Well dang, I didn't win a prize but this Dill bread, or cupcake or scone is mighty tasty. I think I'll go back tomorrow." # 3 They'll know you are human and don't mind accepting that mistakes happen.

    Can you turn the unbaked bread into croutons?

    Don't you go wringing your hands about this. You are doing great. One loaf at a time.

    ReplyDelete